background

Monday, August 13, 2012

7 weeks

How are we doing? That seems to be the typical question for everyone! And it is a very normal question. But when we get asked that question I wonder do people really want to hear the true answer? Do you want to hear that we have three to four appointments a week for doctors or dentists or schools? Do you want to hear that I have to watch everything that my sons do on the computer? Or the fact that I have to keep telling them that they have to learn English and try to integrate into American society? NO, you don't - and that's OK! Because half of the time I tire of reading my calendar that is stock full of appointments!!

In my next breath I will tell you that I have two amazing new sons that have adjusted far better than I have ever expected. I will tell you that every day I am amazed at their spirit and readiness to learn something new. I love both of these boys as if they are "mine." I love the fact that my two sons are "ready" to tackle American schools. Ready to walk into a school with 2,000 children and be OK. I know they are nervous and I know that they are scared and if I could sit in that first class for them I would. I worry for them each day, as if I would for any of my children.

We all enjoyed a wonderful vacation to Ocean Isle with Matt's family the last week in July. The boys loved seeing the ocean for the first time. They were obsessed with fishing, and actually caught some great fish. I was very reluctant to try what they caught, but what mother can say no to that? Honestly it was a very good fish - red drum. It was great to get away and the boys enjoyed being in a house full of 15 people!

Ivan tried out for the high school soccer team and sadly did not make the team. I was just as devastated as he was. It was a huge let down for him, but it was a great opportunity for me to be able to give him a big hug and let him know that it was OK! It is just life and we move on and find another team. Matt and I were so proud of him for even going out there and trying out with about 70 kids and not knowing the language! So we found another local team in our area and he tried out for their competitive team and made it! This was a great boost for Ivan's confidence level. And I just love seeing his smile when he knows he has accomplished something.

Moving forward into the Fall sports season we will have football, soccer and basketball to fit in every weekend - just reading it makes me tired! Then Anatoliy would like to keep playing a musical instrument, so we will be adding those lessons into the schedule too:)

We have really been working on Math with the boys before school. They are pretty far behind for their grade level, so we are trying to get them caught up as much as possible. We have a wonderful neighbor who is teaching them English twice a week, such a blessing since the private tutor that we had hired had a change in plans and couldn't work with the boys. Every little thing helps.

Ryan, Alex and William all start school on the 20th and then Ivan and Anatoliy start on the 27th. I am actually looking very forward to the start of school for everyone!!

A little bit of humor in our lives - picture me and all 5 boys in Wal-Mart school supply shopping on NC tax free weekend....5 school lists for 5 children and a woman wants to keep talking to me about how I look too young to have all 5 of these boys!! She really would not let the subject drop! Yet William was pushing the cart into people b/c he couldn't see over the top of the cart. Ryan was chasing Alex with a girl binder that he thought he should have (purposely picking on him), Anatoliy is trying to sound out the items on his list and pointing to everything to see if it is what he needs and Ivan is off on another aisle no where to be found.........I literally stopped, looked at the woman and said, "thank god I am young b/c as you can see I have a lot to keep up with!"

No comments:

Post a Comment